Visiting eSwatini (Swaziland)

  • 0

Getting there

Even though Eswatini (Swaziland) is overshadowed by its enormous neighbor, South Africa, Mbabane benefits from easy access to Johannesburg because it is only a few hours away. Eswatini can be reached by road from the Kruger Lowveld region.



Currency & shopping

The Lilangeni, also known as Emalangeni (E), is Eswatini’s official currency and is pegged to the rand (1 Rand = 1 Lilangeni). Rands from South Africa are widely recognized, so there is no need to exchange them. You should exchange again before you depart because emalangeni are tough to exchange for other currencies outside of Eswatini.

Although credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are commonly accepted in hotels, restaurants, and retail establishments, they cannot be used to pay for gasoline. The majority of Eswatini’s ATMs take foreign credit cards.



Tipping is not widely practiced but one is encouraged to give a 10% tip where excellent service is received.


Climate & what to pack

Eswatini enjoys a lovely, warm environment with lots of sunny, dry days. The majority of the parks are situated in the east of the nation, which is low in altitude and has hot summers and mild winters. Because of its higher altitude and cooler climate, the west of the nation receives more rainfall.

In contrast to Europe and North America, Eswatini sees winter and summer at completely different times. The Dry and Wet seasons, alternately, are winter and summer.

In general, attire is casual. ” In the uplands, particularly in the winter (April-September), it can get chilly at night, necessitating the wearing of jackets. On early-morning or late-night safari excursions, it may be very cold.


Visa & passport requirements

Entry into Eswatini is only permitted with a passport that is valid for at least three months. The majority of Commonwealth nations, the United States, Japan, the majority of the European Union countries, and a few other nations do not require visas for tourist trips. Eswatini is open to visitors on vacation or on work for up to 30 days. After that, you can submit an application to the Ministry of Home Affairs for an additional 30-day extension. You must file for a temporary residence permit if staying for a period of time greater than 60 days.