BARBERTON MAKHONJWA GEOTRAIL
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Directions: Drive from Mbombela on the R40, south, to Barberton. The entire 37km from Barberton to the Bulembu/Josefsdal Border Post is the Geotrail. Return the same way to Mbombela.
The oldest well-preserved sequence of volcanic and sedimentary rocks which are a record of Archaean Earth between about 3.2 and 3.57 billion years ago. The trail is 37km long and spans from Barberton to the Josefsdal border with Eswatini.
THINGS TO DO IN BARBERTON:
· Heritage Walk: A meander through the town tracking all its historical attractions.
· Barberton Museum: Captivating displays and descriptions of the area’s early history.
· Gold Panning and Underground Mining Tours: Relive the ‘Gold Rush Boom’ by arranging a tour with Barberton Tourism.
· Eureka City: The remnants of a historical town situated 1,5 km northwest of Sheba Mine and 11 km northeast of Barberton.
· Barberton Nature Reserve: Located 30km from Barberton on R38. Picnic site with barbeque stands are available.
· Off Road Adventures: The Mountainlands Nature Reserve, Msauli Village and Songimvelo Nature Reserve. These can be booked through Barberton Tourism.
· Queen Rose Hiking Trail: Located 45km from Barberton. A section of the trail is accessible for day visitors.