Ohrigstad

  • 0
  • 171 views

Information provided by Hans Bornman from his unpublished book, Lowveld Tour Guide:

Town, 47 km north-east of Lydenburg and 84 km south-west of Hoedspruit. It was laid out in June 1845 but abandoned in 1848-49. Named after the Voortrekker leader Andries Hendrik Potgieter and a merchant of Amsterdam, Georgius Ohrig (1806-1852), a friend of the Voortrekkers, and known as Andries-Ohrigstad, later shortened to Ohrigstad. Serious friction lead to Potgieter moving to the Zoutpansberg in 1848. Malaria ravaged the community and they decided to move 50 km south. Here the town of Lydenburg was established on 21 September 1849. After the eradication of the malaria carrying mosquito, the Ohrigstad area was resettled.

The town is on the Panorama Route which includes, to the north, Entrenchment and Voortrekker graves, Museum of Man, Abel Erasmus Pass and the Strijdom Tunnel. To the south-east: Ohrigstad Dam Nature Reserve, Robber’s Pass and Pilgrim’s Rest. On the road to Lydenburg: Grootboom, Rusplaas, Verraaiersnek and Krugerspos.