Komatipoort

  • 0
  • 116 views

Established in 1887, Komatipoort’s name was derived from “poort,” Afrikaans for valley or pass, and “Komati”, which literally translates as “river of cows (hipppos)” in siSwati. The town’s history includes that of  being a route for transport riders and a railway line to Maputo, then known as Lorenzo marques.

Sitting on the confluence of the Komati and Crocodile Rivers, Komatipoort is tiger fishing country. Avid anglers converge all year round to seek the mighty tigerfish, which is always a challenge to catch. The Lebombo Border Post to Mozambique is also located in the town of Komatipoort.