Information provided by Hans Bornman from his unpublished book, Lowveld Tour Guide:
Town, at the confluence of the Komati and Crocodile Rivers, 93 km north-west of Maputo and 105 km east of Nelspruit, at 25 26S, 31 56E. Named after the gorge (Afrikaans: poort) 200 metres deep which the Komati River has cut through the Lebombo Mountains. The town was surveyed in 1898 and proclaimed on 11 April 1899. It became a municipality on 1 July 1981. The Crocodile Bridge entrance gate, to the Kruger National Park, is situated 12 km north-west of Komatipoort.