Information provided by Hans Bornman from his unpublished book, Lowveld Tour Guide:
Town, 30 km north of Sabie and 34 km south of Bourke’s Luck Potholes. It was laid out on a farm that belonged to Abel Erasmus and proclaimed a town in 1914 when the railway line was completed from Nelspruit. The town remained the rail-link of the timber and mining industry, until the gold mines closed down in 1972. Named after a grassy hillock, (Afrikaans gras, ‘grass’ and kop, ‘hillock’).