Information provided by Hans Bornman from his unpublished book, Lowveld Tour Guide:
Vanished town, situated 1,5 km north-west of Sheba Mine. After the discovery of the fabulous ‘Golden Quarry’ by Edwin Bray in 1885, diggers and fortune hunters converged on the area and soon small communities were established. In December 1885 J Sherwood started a butchery and a hotel between the Sheba and Fairview mines, the beginning of Eureka City. Sherwood was one of the first pioneers who took part in the Moodies gold rush and was also the first person to start a business venture in Barberton. His wife was not exactly pretty and the diggers named her the Queen of Sheba. The Queen of Sheba hotel was named after her. In 1886 Eureka City reached its peak and there were three shops, three hotels, a bakery, a chemist, race course, music hall and the ever present bars to cater for the 700 diggers in the area. Today only the ruins of the Victoria Hotel remain. Not open to the public.