It is advisable to obtain a good city map of Maputo for this day trip.
Directions: Travel from Mbombela on the N4 East to Komatipoort and cross the border into Mozambique. Maputo lies 96km from the border.
TOP 10 PLACES TO VISIT IN MAPUTO:
· Maputo Train Station: Designed by Gustav Eiffel and regarded as one of the most beautiful train stations in the world.
· Museum of Natural History: Located in a Manueline style building, one of Maputo’s most popular landmarks.
· Fortaleza: Its striking architecture, battlements and cannons have a dominant position over the main harbour area. Inside are several striking reliefs of battles.
· Cardozo Hotel/Polana Hotel: Historical buildings of old splendour. Great views.
· Louis Trichardt Memorial: An interesting site to visit, especially for South Africans. Very well maintained and a peaceful place to take a break in the middle of the city.
· War Memorial (The Snake Lady): Sculpted by Ruy Gameiro, commemorates the loss of lives during the First World War.
· Iron house (Casa do Ferro): Another Gustave Eiffel creation, unpractical in the tropical heat of Maputo, but nonetheless very interesting and certainly beautiful.
· The Fish Market: A popular and vibrant market to visit and eat within the city. Seafood is freshly prepared to your taste and enjoyed in an outdoor setting.
· City Hall: Neo Classical style building, opposite the Cathedral.
· Cathedral of Nossa Senhora Da Conceicao: The tall white spire of the cathedral dominates Independence Square-amazing architecture.